Sunday, June 29, 2014

On Time with Zaki Ibrahim.

Greetings Folks!!!

So when I wasn't blogging, I was a student at The Art Institute of Jacksonville. I recently graduated with my BFA in Digital Filmmaking and Video Production- Yaaay me!

I'm working at a local TV station, MEE MEE TV, in Jacksonville Florida and it's AWESOME! Loving the new job and the work we do there, but in my spare time, I will still bring you A Different World of Music. 

I missed saying that, but now that I got that out of my system, let me tell you about an artist I stumbled upon during my finals week at AIJax.

While working on the edit for my Senior Thesis, I was feeling anxious and searching through my facebook friends. I was a combination of bored and frustrated that day, but I glanced at my friend's page and this name just popped out at me- Zaki Ibrahim ( Zah-key Eb-bra-him).

When I saw that she was a South African- Canadian singer/songwriter I was more intrigued. I found her band camp page and instantly enjoyed her album "Every Opposite". Zaki's sound is a mix of R&B, Jazz, and Electronica- it's captivating and eargasmic music. She's beautiful, racially ambiguous, talented, and totally capable of taking the music world by storm.



Now back to my exam story, so I'm listening to the album and "Flux Capacitor" begins to play. Although I LOVED the track, I had no idea what a flux capacitor was... or so I thought. In the movie, "Back To The Future" you will remember that the Doc created it to make time travel possible. When I googled it and realized what it was, I just laughed. During finals, I was frustrated and eager to graduate. I wished I could fast forward through the agony of getting projects done. I didn't realize that I should enjoy being a student for the last time, and be content with the progress I had made; I needed a reminder to live in the moment, and the universe (God) sent me a message:

     " I'll be late, trying to fault in a perfect space.
       I'm just saying, we're missing out on the point here.
       All this Hustle, Hustle what a shame.
       To see the light in a cage, I'd rather do my own thing.
       I'm on time, I'm on Time(6x)"-  Zaki Ibrahim "Flux Capacitor" 

Now, I may have gotten the wrong message, but I got a sense that I was exactly where I needed to be. I should've been happy and proud of where I was. Three years ago, I didn't think college was possible for me, and there I was, about to finish school and unthankful. I had to change my attitude and finally become content with where I was: weeks away from graduation. When I got frustrated,  all I could hear in the back of my head was, " I'm on time, I'm on Time".


Check out this song and tell me what message you get from this tune: ZAKI IBRAHIM "FLUX CAPACITOR BandCamp"

 And check out this interview with the song bird herself:




Peace and Blessings
Remember, You're On Time
MIks N.K.A Tami-Lee
                            





No comments:

Post a Comment